Skip To Content

Family Investment Services


Smiling Family

Family Investment Programs
All Family Investment (FI) program applications are accepted Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM at 200 Kent Avenue, La Plata Maryland 20646.  If you would like to meet with a case manager, face-to-face program interviews are conducted on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, only, from 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM.  No appointment necessary.  If you have questions, please call 301-392-6645.
To report suspected program fraud, call 1-800-332-6347

Temporary Cash Assistance
Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) provides cash assistance to families with dependent children when available resources do not fully address the family’s needs.  In addition, the program prepares participants for independence through work.
To be eligible for TCA, a family must cooperate with child support, participate in work activities and comply with substance abuse provisions. Adults with dependent children applying for TCA must meet financial and technical eligibility requirements. Earned and unearned income cannot exceed the benefit level paid for the assistance unit size. Sanctions may be imposed for not complying with program requirements.
An Employment Resource Center (ERC) is located on site for TCA applicants and recipients.  The hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM.

Emergency Assistance to Families with Children
Emergency Assistance to Families with Children (EAFC) provides emergency cash assistance to families who need emergency help paying rent or utilities or for other emergencies. These funds are available through the local department once every twenty four months when funds are available.
  • DSS staff reviews each family situation to determine who is eligible.
  • Families must have one or more children under 21 living with them.
  • Families must present proof that they have an emergency that was not caused by a family member quitting a job.
Families must present an eviction notice or a utility cut-off notice from the utility company or other proof of an emergency. 

 Burial Assistance
The Burial Assistance Program provides limited assistance to help with funeral expenses of deceased recipients of assistance programs when their families cannot afford funeral costs.
The program helps by providing a benefit to the funeral director when the deceased individual was either receiving assistance or met the eligibility requirements of a program administered by the Department of Human Services. Such programs may include – Foster Care, Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA), Temporary Disability Assistance Program (TDAP), and Medical Assistance. A newborn child who was not a part of the TCA assistance unit and individuals receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) may also be eligible. The program provides a payment not to exceed $650 when funeral expenses total less than $2,500. The cost of burial plots, vaults, grave digging, and burial clothing contributed by family members and friends may be excluded when counting funeral expenses.

Temporary Disability Assistance Program
The Temporary Disability Assistance Program (TDAP) is available to help low-income, disabled individuals through a period of short-term disability or while they are awaiting approval of federal disability benefits. The program is funded through the State of Maryland to provide help to individuals without dependent children.
The TDAP program provides cash benefits to eligible disabled individuals. Eligibility requirements include verifying the disability (a licensed medical practitioner must complete a medical report). TDAP applicants who are disabled for 12 months or more must file an application for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). TDAP recipients may receive benefits for only 12 months out of a 36-month period unless they are pursuing SSI.

Medicaid, also called Medical Assistance (MA) pays the medical bills of needy and low-income individuals. It is administered by the State and pays medical bills with Federal and State funds.
You must file an application to find out if you are eligible for Medicaid. To do this, you can apply online at or apply by telephone or request a paper application form by calling the Maryland Health Benefits Exchange Consolidated Service Center. The toll free number is (855) 642-8572 or TTY (855) 642-8573. You may also apply at the Charles County Department of Social Services.  A computer lab is located on site with staff available to provide assistance during working hours.

You will need:
  1. General information about family members ( names, birth dates and social security numbers)
  2. Proof of income
  3. If pregnant, written proof of pregnancy and expected date of delivery signed by your doctor or nurse
**If you are older than age 65 and are not a parent or caretaker relative of a minor child, blind, disabled and not Medicare eligible, or a current foster care child you should apply online at or in person at the Charles County Department of Social Services.

 Long Term Care Medical Assistance
Long Term Care Medical Assistance (LTC), is designed to cover the cost of nursing home care for low income individuals who meet eligibility requirements, including a look back at resources in the five years prior to application. Applications for LTC may be filed online at or in person at the Charles County Department of Social Services.

Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), called the Food Supplement Program (FSP), formerly known as Food Stamps, helps low-income households buy the food they need for good health. Everyone has the right to apply for FSP. Click here to download the Income Guidelines

Applicants must file an application, be interviewed, and meet all financial and technical eligibility factors prior to issuance of FSP benefits. Some people who have little or no money may qualify for Expedited Food Supplement benefits right away. They must have only an interview and verify identity.

You can file an application in person at the Charles County Department of Social Services.  You may also file an application by mail, fax, or go to to apply online
Am I Eligible?

Maryland Department of Human Resources

Charles County Health Department

Maryland Department of DLLR

Charles County Government

Am I Eligible?

Maryland Department of Human Resources    Charles County Health Department

Maryland Department of DLLR    Charles County Government